Book Club Qs
- This book is pitched as a fast-paced adventure for young adults but suitable for readers of all ages. Do you feel that it lived up to this description? Why or why not?
- Discuss how this book differs from other YA fantasy novels you’ve read.
- What other titles by other authors is this book most similar to?
- Among all of Bobby’s friends, who would you like most to have as your friend? Why?
- Did you identify with Bobby motives and agenda throughout the book? If so, do you think he went about it the right way?
- What, if anything, was compelling about the Headmistress and her situation? Did you find her actions plausible? What would you have done differently?
- Jinx is a unique character in the book, both due to his intellect and abilities. How do you feel about his loyalties and decisions?
- The various conflicts in the book involve both kids and adults. Which set of conflicts (kid or adult) were more interesting? Explain.
- There are a lot of plots and subplots woven into the book, including the Headmistress’ schemes, Master Jong’s mission, and Grandpa and Cassandra’s backstory. Which of these plots did you find most interesting, and why?
- Bobby’s journeys throughout the book are mental and spiritual, as well as physical. What, if anything, do you think he learned by the end of the book? How did he change?
- The theme of doing what is right regardless of the consequences recurs throughout the book. In what way, and with which characters, did you see this theme play out the most?
- Do you believe that the special powers described in the book, such as elevated intuition/instinct, communion with nature and animals, telepathy, telekinesis, etc., are truly possible? If so, what is necessary to perform these feats?